Power quality is simply the electric power that drives an electrical device and the device’s ability to function properly with that electric power.
When discussing power quality, there are several areas of concern.
- Continuity of service
- Variation in voltage magnitude
- Transient voltages and currents
- Harmonic content in the waveforms
There are several issues that affect the quality of power.
- Voltage sags and surges
- Momentary power interruptions
- Extended power interruptions
- Harmonic distortion
- Ground loops
- High-speed transients
- Electrical noise
- Lightning damage or lack of preparedness
The important thing to know is that the power quality at your place of business can have a big effect on your work. You have to make sure the power coming in is of the right quality and that your machines are set to function properly with the power they are supplied.